Why Literacy Matters
In the United States, nearly half of the adult population, or 93 million adults according the National Assessment of Adult Literacy, has very poor or marginal literacy skills. Fourteen percent of adults in the United States read at or below the fifth-grade level.
The best indicator of a child's success in school is the educational attainment of his/her parents. Research has shown that when you invest $1 dollar in teaching an adult to read $33 dollars are returned to your community. Adults who can read and write:
- earn more wages to support their families,
- teach their children good reading habits,
- pay more taxes,
- and are more likely to contribute to their communities.
Teach a Class!
Volunteer to teach a class and give the power of literacy. Together we can change our community and world by giving people a hand up. (Scroll down to learn more)
Direct Student Support
Interact with students one on one through registration/new student intakes, and goal setting/tracking with current students.
Help students learn digital literacy, or help maintain our lending library of laptop computers, headphones, and hotspots.
Volunteering at ALP
Learn more about the commitment and how you can apply. Thank you so much for your interest in this rewarding volunteer path!
Volunteer Opportunities at ALP
- ESL teacher (in person)
- ESL teacher (online)
- Teacher's aide for online classes
- Math or other GED instructor support
- Professional development speaker for volunteer teachers
- Administrative volunteering (front desk, proctor literacy tests, register new students, etc)
Get Started in the Volunteer Process
There is a 3 step process to getting started.
1. Fill out a volunteer interest form.
2. You will receive an automatic reply from the interest form with more information about the volunteer commitment, and a link to a more thorough application to fill out after reading the information packet.
3. Once you submit your application, a staff member will reach out to schedule an interview, a class observation, teacher training, and find the right fit for you at ALP.
Alaska Literacy Program hosts to fundraising events throughout the year. Please join us for one or both of them!
October 23rd, 2021
Raffle ticket sales coming soon...
Scrabblers Scramble for Literacy
Exact date coming soon...